Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Camera = found!

One of my problems is finding blogs that put crazy (but fun & helpful!) ideas in my head...

One such blog is Knock-Off Wood, which I stumbled across a few months ago. We have since done a couple projects from Ana's blog (I'm working my way up to a toddler bed, which we need since Silly Monster is 2.5 years old and still in his crib). Below are a couple of my adventures, with corresponding links to Ana's blog/plans.

Clip Art Rails:
Seemed pretty simple as a beginner project - dismantle and paint some wooden clothespins, reassemble, then attach to a 1x2 strip that I had sanded and 'painted' (I used a Minwax PolyShades, which did stain and polyurethane in one step)

The problem that I had was attaching the clothespins to the wood strip....
first I tried wood glue, but the weight of the clothespins as I wanted them positioned did not allow them to stay put long enough for the glue to set;
then I tried hot glue, which set nicely, but when we nailed the strip to the wall, the vibrations caused most of the clothespins to fall off, leaving me with a clipless clip rail, otherwise known as a silly looking rail;
finally we settled on using a quick-setting Loctite Gel to re-attach the clothespins, and so far it's held up pretty good.


End table:

Our first furniture project, I think it turned out pretty good... we did have a minor issue with the spacers for the side rails splitting because DH was using nails that were too thick. While we were assembling it, Silly Monster decided that it made good 'garage' for his truck


Here again, I finished the table with the Minwax one-step Polyshades. Conveniently, it's just the right height for the garbage can.

2 comments:

  1. Take this from an expert: I appreciate the fact that you took the pins apart to paint. No paint of the spring!
    Very professional! I work with thousands of them and RARELY i paint them precisely because of that. It takes for ever!
    GerryStecca.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Although... I cheated and used spray paint ;-) (which worked okay, but would have been better had it not been March and the cold temperatures affected the dry time and flawed the finish slightly)

    ReplyDelete