Monday, May 17, 2010

Love Photo Collection

So, I had one of my 'bright ideas'...
When looking through engagement pictures, it occurred to me that some clever cropping could bring out the word 'love' for a lovely gift. Once the photos had been digitally cropped and printed at Walgreens (4x6s, if you must know), I set out on the difficult task of finding a reasonably priced frame to meet my needs. Unfortunately, 4 opening frames are not common with matting, so I settled on this lovely 10"x20" frame made from renewable wood that was on sale at Kohls and went to work modifying it to suit the project.

I cut border pieces from a dark green cardstock, using a rotary cutter to make quick cuts and a quilting ruler to help with nice 45 degree angles.
I then cut ivory cardstock larger than 4x6 with the rotary cutter, then used an X-acto knife and ruler to cut out an opening just under 4x6.
Due to the removal of the original matting, the cardstock + photo height came up short, so I cut a 10x20 piece of cardboard (recycled the box from our Wii balance board) to use as a foundation for the composition while adding thickness. I drew on a grid for alignment purposes and began placing pictures using double-sided photo tape.

Then I placed the ivory border pieces, followed by the green frame pieces.
Finally I added labels (which helped cover the seam of the border at the halfway point).
Ta-Da! Completed project in frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment